The Dillmans of Notasulga, Alabama

Register to Vote can be easily accomplished on-line and or with paper applications. Register to vote TODAY.
District 4, including Notasulga and Franklin area residents, our storm shelters are on Lori Lane just west of Liberty City Gas on Hwy 14 AND at Franklin Town Hall, respectively. Visit them before an emergency! more
Macon Cnty School Board Travel Club more...
Financial school board info more...
Let Bama Vote more...
Common Core will not benefit our students - more...
Spot the Space Station more ...
come on, email Frank

Genealogy of Dillman, Dackermann and Burdge

Somewhere back around 1811 George W. Dillmann was born. At this time I must accept that date. Until I am able to locate a second source to collaborate the 1811 birth year I suspect an error was made by the enumerator or the information was provided by someone unsure of the facts. Often times enumerators gathered facts pertinant to a family from their neighbors. The only record of birth date I am able to locate is from the 1880 US Census of Frackville, Schuylkill County, PA. So let us for now assume that George W. Dillmann was born around 1811 and begin this brief narrative of the Dillman family.

George W. Dillmann b. 1811 in PA may have been a Pvt in E Company, 130th Regiment Infantry from 14Aug1862 to 21May 1863 during the battle between the states. He enrolled in Newville, Cumberland County, PA, about 100 miles southwest of Frackville, and was mustered into the volunteer army in Hamburg, PA, a short 25 miles from Frackville. Henry I. Zinn, Cumberland County, was the Regimental Colonel with Levi March, York County being the second in command as the Lieutenant Colonel. Major John Lee, Cumberland County, was the third in command.

With the summer's humid weather the regiment proceeded to Washington the day following its organization and participated in battles on the plains of Manassas and Chantilly. Within days the130th re-crossed the Potomac and marched into Rockville and was combined with units from Connecticut and New York into French's Division, of Sumner Corps and forming a brigade. During the day the army moved on over South Mountain, and on 16 September 1862 was massed in front of the enemy, in Antietam Creek, Sumner's Corps holding the center. General French wrote in his official report "'My division composed of Brigadier Generals Max Weber's and Kimball's brigades, and three regiments of new troops, under the command of Colonel Dwight Morris ... was put in motion by order of the General commanding the corps ...'" and the division driving the enemy from Roulett's farm. The regiment casualties included forty killed and two hundred and fifty-six wounded, many died as a result of their wounds. Pvt. George W. Dillmann along with his regiment continued to march during the cooling summer weather to Harper's Ferry. About two months after joining the 130th George marched through Viginia and was assigned fatigue and guard duty at Belle Plain Landing. Approximately seven weeks he was again on a tiresome march through deep mud, a severe storm and bitter cold to rejoin the division in preparation of the impending battle at Fredericksburg, VA. Ten days before Christmas the regiment re-crossed the Potomac and returned to camp in Falmouth where they camped to recover from wounds and illness until the end of April 1863. On April 28th George left their camp for a two day march to United States Ford. Three days after leaving camp he marched into Fredericksburg again for a battle lasting a horrific morning of unparalleled fury for their last battle. On May 12, 1863 George's term of enlistment expired and was mustered out of service on the 21th following the regiment's return to Harrisburg.

On 19 June 1880 George was enumerated along with his wife Elizabeth R. (nee Rhone), born about 1827 also in PA and their two sons, Elmer E. born in March 1864 either in IL or PA and John born in 1866 in Schuylkillhaven, PA. The family was living on Lehigh Avenue Avenue, Frackville, Schuylkill County, PA. Both boys aged 16 and 14 respectively, were employed as "picking slate" in the near by coal fields. Elizabeth cooked, cared for her family and kept house. George as a laborer missed three months of work during the last 12 months. John, whom I descend from, was a railroad brakeman and lived with his family on Railroad Avenue, Frackville in 1891. John's older brother, my great grand uncle, was a fireman and his dad had a labor job in that year. As a side note in 2007 I spoke with Elmer's only grandson who descended from Elmer's only son, Eugene E. b. 21Sep1893 in New York d. 17Nov1957 Philadelphia.

George I believe died between 1891 and 1900 quite possibly in Frackville. Elmer quickly left his fireman job and traveled to Brooklyn, NY after the 1891 Business enumeration of Schuylkill County and married Annie Hunt on July 26, 1891 in Kings County, New York. Nine years later on June 11, 1900 Elmer, Annie and their three children, Margaretha, Eugene and Edna were living with his in-laws, Edwin (a Sea Captain) and Margaretha Hunt at 108 Bushwick Avenue, Brooklyn. Elmer was supporting his family as a stationary foreman while Annie took care of the home and children. All occupants of this home were able to read, write and spoke English. Edwin and Margaretha Hunt, their two daughters, Jennie and Annie, Edwin, and their three grandchildren, Margaretha, Eugene and Edna were living at 108 Bushwick Avenue, Brooklyn on June 11, 1900. All occupants of the

One must wonder what and how difficult life was during the Civil War as William Dackerman b April 14, 1821 d April 27, 1902, a member of either (what appears to read) 1st Squad Geo Schayer's Company C 34d Regiment of US (??) Reserve Volunteers as a Private or as a Sgt in Co E 58 Reg, building pontoons to cross the Shenandoah River in Virginia. Dackerman's pension documents state in part, while at Fredericksburg, Va. the latter part of 1862 his left leg commenced to break open on account of marching with sand and dirt in his shoes, exposure of the cold and wet weather while assisting in building pontoons to cross the Shenandoah River which lead to treatment at Harwood Hospital in Washington, DC. He was eventually medically discharged and pensioned on September 27, 1864. (Pension statement dated January 26, 1886 signed by both William Dackerman and Emil C. Walter, Notary Public of Kings County, NY). His monthly pension was established at "Four dollars per month to commence on the Twenty eighth day of September one thousand eight hundred and sixty four and Six dollars per month from January 25 1882 and Twelve dollars per month from January 19, 1887."

My mother's mother, Mildred Bennett Burdge b July 14, 1900 d May 6, 1973, at 7 years of age playfully grabbed hold of a live electrical wire not properly secured to a power pole resulting in her grandmother, Lucinda B. Bennett, b October 10, 1878 d July 14, 1946, receiving serious "nervous" injuries when she came to Mildred's rescue.

From a WWI vet and professional NYC firefighter, Franklin John Dillmann b Jul 11, 1895 d Sep 4, 1962, to a career spanning three major wars, Benjamin B. Burdge b May 12, 1894 d Jan 21, 1947, to a sole proprietor of a NYC hotel, to whom I am not completely convinced my ggfather, John Dillmann b 1868, per 1880 census, working in a rubber plant as a 13 year old along with his siblings (Gottfr., Fred. and Louise) to several others whose occupations included the military, farming and carpentry. My Dillman and Burdge lines have diverse professions.

Some of my favorite genealogical links.

Click Here